For older suits that have the FINA-approved logo but do not fit the definition of a technical suit and were produced before the green check mark was standardized, you can still wear them in competition. Here is what you need to do pre competition.
- USA Swimming will have a list of these suits on the website.
- Swimmer or coach takes the suit to the meet referee prior to the start of the meet.
- The tag on the suit has the name of the suit on it and the referee can compare with the list on the website.
- Referee uses a green Sharpie and places an “X” over the FINA-approval logo.
- It is up to the swimmer and/or coach to have this approved prior to them swimming the race. If the suit has not been reviewed and marked prior to the start of the meet the athlete could be disqualified if they swim in that suit.