Equip your little one for splashing around while preventing pool contamination. “Accidents” are bound to happen, and swim diapers provide a protective layer against fecal matter escaping into the pool. A good swim diaper not only aids in sanitation – it saves you both time and money in the cleanup process. Consider these tips when choosing the perfect swim diaper for your infant or toddler:
Why Buy Swim Diapers
Most pool facilities require that all infants wear swim diapers when in the water to prevent contamination and the spread of germs. Swim diapers only prevent solids from escaping, but are not leakproof. Make sure your child is not sick with diarrhea before entering the pool.
Swim Diaper Styles
Swim diapers can be worn as a bathing suit or under another swimsuit, and come in both reusable and disposable styles. Choose a swim diaper that is easy to put on and take off for quick changing. Pull-on/pull-off diaper styles are common among both reusable and disposable diapers. Some reusable swim diapers with Velcro™ or snap closures are the easiest to remove, but are slightly more bulky than pull-on/pull-offs when worn under another swimsuit.
Reusable Swim Diapers
Reusable swim diapers are easy to clean, inexpensive, eco-friendly, and come in fun colors and designs. They come with a number of distinct features:
- They are commonly made out of a cloth or polyester material and lined with soft mesh to hold in solid waste.
- Elastic rims around the legs and waist keep the diaper snug and help to prevent any leakage.
- The majority come in pull-on/pull-off styles, but you can also find diapers with clips, snaps or Velcro™ closure for easy removal.
- Reusable swim diapers can be machine or hand-washed and used multiple times before permanent disposal.
Disposable Swim Diapers
Disposable swim diapers are mainly chosen for their convenience – there is little or no cleaning involved after purchase. However, they are less popular than reusable swim diapers because they can absorb the liquid of the pool, quickly feeling too heavy and weighing down the wearer. They are also more expensive in the long run and are not as breathable as their cloth counterparts. Keep note of these facts about disposable swim diapers:
- The construction materials in disposable swim diapers vary from brand-to-brand. Some include super-absorbent crystals combined with plastic or paper components. Others are mostly constructed of non-absorbent fabrics, much like their reusable counterparts.
- They are all designed to be pulled-on/off with stretchable sides for added comfort.
- The sides tear easily for quick removal and disposal.
- For sanitary purposes, disposable diapers should only be worn once and then thrown away.
Wearing a Swim Diaper
While most children will never have a solid-waste accident while swimming, frequent bathroom breaks can further prevent pool contamination. Check your local pool’s requirements before purchasing a swim diaper – some facilities will require a certain type.
Swimming can be fun for both you and your baby when you choose a swim diaper that is comfortable, convenient, and colorful. For example, Splash About’s Happy Nappy comes in durable and warm wetsuit material with waist and leg bands that won’t dig into your baby’s skin. IPlay swim diapers feature an abundance of patterns and colors in a comfortable and absorbent material. With an easy-to-use swim diaper from SwimOutlet.com, your little one can be splashing around the pool in no time!